End of Summer-time Bucket List
Wait...it was just January 1st...I blinked... and now it's middle of August!?!?!... What!?... How?... When did this happen? Are you feeling like there was so much more you wanted to do yet before the summer is over and we're all sipping pumpkin spice lattes in our cozy sweaters? Well, that makes two of us. Alright so what do we want to do with these last few weeks of warmth and sunshine? Read below for ideas to put the Summer-time FOMO to rest.
1. This is my all time favorite, because well I'm lucky enough to live by the ocean, ah hem Lake Michigan. GO TO THE BEACH. Yes it is a lot of work, planning, and time, but it is worth it. Your mind, body, and soul will thank you. There is something so renewing about being near a big body of water. Take advantage of it now before it freezes over into huge chunks of shivering ice bergs.
2. Plan a picnic with a friend, your family, or yourself! All you need is a blanket, a book, some snacks, and a shade tree. I know, I know, you have a thousand loads of laundry and meals to prepare but they can wait an hour or two. Let yourself get lost in a book, the breeze, and birds happily singing in the trees.
3. Walk around your neighborhood in sandals. Feel the warmth and freedom without big ol' boots and coats that will be here just as fast as summer came and went. Along with this get a pedicure while your at it!
4. Grill out in your backyard. Make it easy with hamburgers, tofu dogs, or corn on the cob. Sit outside and enjoy the smells. Eat outside too! Stay outside a while and put up twinkle lights or a citronella candle to enjoy the summer night's stars and moon.
5. Ok lastly, this one is sort of in preparation for fall, but it's a good one. While everyone else around you is stocking up on cool back to school supplies and clothes, grab some for yourself. A new sweater and new pens can do wonders for your summer-time sadness!
It's the little things that can bring us joy in all the seasons we go through in life. Enjoy each moment!
Rachel Bauer, LMSW, ADS specializes in counseling for Women with Anxiety. She is the Co-Owner of Empower Counseling Services located downtown Grand Rapids, MI.
Visit empowercounseling.org for more information!