Symptoms of Anxiety and Depression
The decision to seek out counseling for yourself or a loved one isn't always easy. It can be scary to pick up the phone and describe what your going through to a total stranger. Then after that you have to actually drive there and meet in person and explain even more. It's overwhelming and can prevent us from getting the help and support we need. Below are 10 signs of Anxiety or Depression to be aware of to help you determine when to make that call, text, email or schedule online to make it a little less scary :)
1. You find yourself unable to enjoy the things you used to. Maybe you used to spend more time with friends or family, explore new places, enjoy hobbies or sports, or even just laugh or smile more. This is a sign that your not feeling your typical self and may need help to get back on track.
2. You find yourself crying often. If you seem to want to just stay home, shut out the world, and are easily tearful this is another sign. If you feel alone and like no one understands you, it's time to reach out for some help.
3. You find yourself excessively worrying or panicking. If your mind seems to go into circles and down rabbit holes to nowheretown then it's a sign to you that your thoughts are unmanageable on your own. You are afraid of driving, socializing, or being in public.
4. All you want to do is stay home. You feel best in isolation where you don't have to be "on". You can just hide away in your own world of hurt. You feel alone but don't want to talk to anyone either.
5. You feel highly irritable and could just snap at any moment. You feel like your on edge and at any instance any little thing could push you over into a rage.
6. You can't sleep or you sleep too much. You feel so tired but you can't sleep because your mind is racing a million miles a minute. Or you feel like all you want to do is sleep away your troubles.
7. You have no appetite or over eat emotionally. Food doesn't look good to you or you forget to eat meals. Or you turn to food for comfort and eat your feelings.
8. You feel fatigued, no energy, and can't think straight. When you're depressed or anxious your mind and body end up exhausting yourself causing a feeling of no motivation.
9. You feel worthless, hopeless or guilty for things that feel uncontrollable. You feel undeserved or unworthy to be a priority. There's a feeling like there's no hope for you and things aren't getting better.
10. You feel like you'd be better off not living and think of death often. If you feel like hurting yourself or someone else, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital immediately for help.
If you are feeling any of the symptoms above, please don't wait to get help. Anxiety and Depression can be manageable with the right help. Call, text or email Empower Counseling Services in Grand Rapids, MI at 616-717-3935 , firstname.lastname@example.org, or empowercounseling.org.
Rachel Bauer, LMSW is a licensed Therapist and Co-Owner of Empower Counseling Services in Grand Rapids, MI. She specializes in helping women with Anxiety and Depression. She also offers acupuncture detox as an alternative to medication that offers immediate relief.