Women and Stress - 5 ways to reduce it NOW!
As women we tend to feel the need to carry everyone's load. Significant other, kids, mom, dad, brother, sister, grandpa, grandma, neighbor, boss, coworker and pets just to name a few! Carrying everyone else's load tends to add onto our own stress and overwhelm meters. What is with the feeling that we need to reduce everyone else's stress let alone our own? Here are a few ways we can balance everything out to reduce stress and thereby improving women's mental health and well-being.
1. Prioritize yourself. It is not only ok but necessary to take care of yourself first. If we don't do this we can not effectively and positively impact the other people, demands, and things on our to do lists in our lives. So take that shower, have that cup of coffee, watch your favorite show, or read a book for at the very least 20 minutes a day.
2. Exercise. Even just a 5 or 10 minute walk outside will change your outlook for the tasks at hand. Exercise is the number 1 way to reduce anxiety and depression, including built up stress and overwhelm in women's lives.
3. Eat brain food. Choose a piece of fruit or vegetable with loads of healthy vitamins and nutrients to energize your brain and body to get you through the day.
4. Do one thing on your list. Break down your list into priorities and tackle at least one for the day. Often we get overwhelmed with having to many things to do, so we shut down and do none of them! Choose one thing from your list, do it, and cross it off. It will feel so good! Then tackle another one tomorrow.
5. Ask for help. It's impossible for us to do it all. If we try, we will burn out - it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Delegate some things from your lists to others in your family or support system. If you feel you've reached a point of overwhelm, anxiety, or depression please call us for additional support.
Empower Counseling Services